Monday, January 17, 2011

Paper or Plastic?


Debit cards make purchases everywhere very easy. I've found myself using it for almost every expense from restaurants (the tip is easier to write on paper) and filling up the gas tank (that just requires too much cash anyway) In fact, I find it more useful to swipe the card for outrageously small purchases so the cashier isn't stuck turning your large bill into small amounts of change. In the United States, carrying cash is not necessary most of the time.

This is not the same in Ireland. I was thankfully prepared by others who have spent time in Dublin. I have yet to see the Irish accept an American card, not to mention they usually have a minimum cost if they were to even to let the customer use it. One of the first things I did upon arriving was go to an ATM and withdraw the maximum amount of cash.....and then keep track of the Euros.

Photo: photoeverywhere.co.uk

It's interesting how Ireland has not adapted the cash-less society that the United States has. But they are so far advanced when it comes to simplifying cell phone plans. I'll tell you about my Irish cell phone later.

We started classes today. One week after the Champlain College Burlington campus. I'm getting used Euros and the fact that I can't just swipe my card everywhere I go.


No comments:

Post a Comment